In 1871 the business is founded by James Daly as a butter trading business.The Butter Exchange
In 1885 the business locates from Ballyduff to the Shandon Street area of Cork City.
Prior to the introduction of farmers co-operative creameries, farmers brought their butter to this area of the city to sell. Here it is graded, blended and sold on at the butter exchange building. At one time this was the largest butter market in the world.
In 1905 production of yellow fats commences at The Firkin Crane. This building, built on the site of Shandon castle, is situated next to the famous landmark Shandon Steeple. Though it is still known locally as Shandon Castle its original name, the Firkin Crane, refers to it's part in the butter trade of the time. A Firkin was a standard measure of butter amounting to 80lbs or half a barrel. It was here that the Firkins were unloaded by Crane, hence the name.
For a history of this famous building click here >>
In 1921 Sir Ernest Shackelton personally requests Daly's butter to be taken on his famous expedition to the South Pole. Apparently the parchment wrapper design was ideal for such demanding conditions.
In 1927 James Daly gifts a pedestrian bridge to the City of Cork. Still in use today and known as Daly's bridge it traverses the River Lee between Sundays Well and Fitzgerald's Park.Daly's Bridge
During the first world war production peaks as margarine provides a cheap alternative to butter. The second world war has the opposite effect with a shortage of raw materials causing production to cease between 1941 and 1946.
In 1979 production moves from Shandon street to a purpose built factory in Churchfield on the north side of the city.
In 1989 the Daly family sells the business to Irish Sugar Ltd. which subsequently becomes Greencore Group plc.
In 2001 the company is purchased from Greencore by it's Managing Director Charlie Fleury.
2003 sees the completion of an extension to the Churchfield plant.
In 2006 a major Capital Expenditure project is undertaken to completely refurbish and upgrade our production facility.
2007 sees the continuation of our development with the rebranding of the company under the new name of JDS Foods Ltd.